What is a vHost
A host is the part that comes after the @ when you join a channel on IRC (For example, [you] (webchat@SilentZombies-2C774A64.your.isp.net) ) has joined #empornium). A vHost (aka virtual host) is a feature on Empornium irc network, that allows you to be identified with a custom host, hiding your real ISP, making some silly joke, or even ban evasion (requesting one for ban evasion will get you banned from the entire network, not just a channel).
Don’t I already have a vhost?
By default you host is hidden by a standard vhost which everyone who registers gets (e.g. [you].users.digitalirc.org ), this tutorial is if you want a custom one. For example MrRandom@Ego.sum.penitus.corrupta
Rules for vhosts
- No IP vhosts, or IP look-a-likes. e.g. SilentZombies-7056744.isp.net or 96226D5B.61EF05EF.4702A4E2.IP
- If your vhost can, is, or could possibly be an actual domain you need to be able to prove you own that domain. e.g. google.com or empornium.me
- No impersonating private organizations which have government affiliation (MPAA, RIAA, etc.). We don’t want any trouble with them.
- No vhosts that contain the words forum, ircop, admin, network, or any IRCop’s nick. e.g. admin.irc or mrrandom.sucks
- You are only allowed to change your vhost once every 28 days. Spamming the system with frequent requests will result in a ban from the vhost system.
- If you are caught abusing vhosts to evade bans, you will have your vhost removed and banned from the network for a minimum of 3 days.
- No racist words. *Note – What is considered racist/derogatory is subject to discretion by vhost setter.
- No references to other networks/spamming. (e.g. come.to.irc.blahblahblah.net, join.my.channel)
- No references to “kiddy”-like activity.
- Your vhost must contain at least one period
- We do not offer vIdents (the part before tha @ ) but if you use a seperate IRC Client you should be able to change your ident in it’s settings
How to request a vhost
So your vhost meets all the rules first you need to be registered with NickServ. Once that is done simply enter:
/hs request your.vhost.here
When it has been approved it will automatically set itself as your host, and each time you subsequently identify each time you connect.